You’re sitting on your couch scrolling through webpages, the room is cozy and you’re probably having a nice winter time. But what if we tell you that the air you’re breathing in is slowly killing you? Yes, you hear this. There is a colorless gas that cannot be smelled or tasted present in almost all the states of USA. This gas is called radon. After smoking, Radon is accused of giving you lung cancer. It is killing 21,000 people a year and you may be in a serious need of radon remediation.
National radon level is 1.6cPi/L which adequate to give 20 out of 1000 smokers a lung cancer. If you don’t smoke, chance of getting a lung cancer decreases by 3 out o 1000, which is still alarming. So, to quit smoking is not the ultimate solution. You need radon remediation for you to not get a lung cancer.
- Leaving the threat behind: Here is the step by step guide to what you should do for mitigation of this gas from your home. Some states of USA have three times the national average. You should test your home too for this gas.
- Testing your house: Get some testing kits for testing the radon levels in your home. The kit includes a device which is placed in a specific place where it is exposed to radon. It should be kept there for 3-4 days for a better readable reading of the level. After the exposure, the device is sent out to a lab who tell you the radon level of your home by reading it. The perfect placement of the device if necessary and the appropriate exposure too. If you don’t do that, you may end up having a wrong reading. You can also hire professionals for the purpose for they know the placements and the exact time.
- Choosing a contractor: Chose a contractor for radon remediation in your home. See if he checks he structure of house before estimate. Honest professionals happily provide references and guarantee of their work.
Mitigation system and maintenance
Some of the mitigation systems are hereinafter. You need to maintain the system for it to keep working properly.
- Suction methods are for the houses with sub slab. Cracks in the concrete foundation of your basement can let the gas seep in. Sealing those cracks and drawing gas out from underneath the sub slab using PVC pipes and vent fans helps lowering the radon levels. Newly constructed houses with low radon levels can do under suction based on natural pressures and air differentials.
- Ventilation methods are used for ventilating the home. HRVs are installed to increase ventilation. They do it by using the exhausted air to introduce the outdoor air. Houses with crawlspace can undergo crawlspace ventilation. It can be done actively by using vent fans in crawlspace or passively by opening additional vents in the crawlspace
- Other methods are pressurization; suction on drain tiles, sump pumps or perforated pipes; sealing the cracks; and covering the crawlspace with thick plastic sheet. click here